Sunday, June 28, 2015

Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies Recipe

I totally love cookies all year round, especially the home made ones because they have a different crunch to them, as well as a pleasant aroma. As long as I have my cookies jar filled with some, I keep popping a cookie or two every time I pass by it. Seconds later I regret as it goes straight to my hips, no joke!

Hence I am always looking for cookie recipes that require lesser amount of sugar and butter, because, lets face it, if you see the recipe for most cookies, butter and sugar is the majority content. Every bite we savour has so much of those ingredients that make you whine later, worse still if you love baking and eating them all year round!

I have made oatmeal cookies in the past, but nothing so butter-less or gluten free. While surfing the internet on ways to use the 2 jars of unfinished peanut butter I had lying at home, I came across this wonderful recipe on Sally's Baking Addiction.

Peanut butter - check! Flourless - check! No butter - check! Brown sugar - check! Oatmeal - check check!!!

However I only had an accumulated of half cup peanut butter with me. And reluctantly I went ahead with the rest of self-devised portions, crossing fingers and toes that it works. And what did I get?



Chrunchy, chewy, totally aromatic yummy oatmeal cookies! And you don't even feel the absence of butter or flour. The peanut butter and egg have come together to hold the batter together giving you the regular cookie feeling.

And the icing on the cake (or rather cookie) is that it is whole lot healthier with the rolled oats and coconut oil content. I'm thinking some flaxeed or even sunflower seeds would go awesome in these cookies... saving this light bulb moment for the next time!

Ok so now back to the point of this post. The recipe, yeah... so here is!

Dry ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats, half tsp baking powder, half tsp cinnamon powder, some salt

Wet ingredients:
1 egg, half cup of peanut butter, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil, half tsp vanilla essence

Beat the wet ingredients till it comes together. Fold the dry ingredients in with a spatula. Chill for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 180C. Use your fingers to pick up small balls of batter and flatten it onto a baking tray (lined with baking sheet). Don't worry about the distance between cookies as it does not expand much.
Bake for 20 mins till it is brown and calls out to you!

Happy baking, happy popping 'em into your mouth, with less guilt, more nutrition!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails