Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Homemade Granola Recipe

Welcome to another episode of I-can-make-it-at-home-for-nothing. Today we will be making nutritious and yummy granola right in the comfort of your home. By the end of this blog you will realise how easy it is to make healthy snacks or breakfast on-the-go right at home, for nothing, well not exactly nothing. With ingredients price going up (plus GST & inflation) this is surely not that cheap but for sure cheaper than buying outside. Also you can avoid unnecessary preservatives and artificial flavours. 



Now, spoken like a true Aunty! I don't know if you are familiar with the British TV comedy show Goodness Gracious Me. It's a hilarious show on the integration of Indian and British cultures, in short, of NRIs! There is always one Aunty who pops out of no where and tells 'I-can-make-it-at-home-for-nothing', and lately I have been feeling so much like her, minus the white hair and haggard suit of course!

So here is the long & proper recipe for the granola by Chef Michael Smith. I had shared this before on my blog, but this time I realised how boring and lengthy it gets to read a well formatted recipe. 

Over the times, I have stopped bothering over the recipe though. I have come to devise my own formula for it. I substituted the vegetable oil with virgin coconut oil (you can never go wrong with it). 

The wet ingredients are 1 part VCO, 1 part honey (or more if you like it thicker), 3-4tsp of brown sugar, half tsp of cinnamon powder. Mix this in a saucepan over low heat till it dissolves, and turn off the heat, set aside. Then mix in a mixing bowl whatever nuts/flakes you have. I like to go with almond flakes, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, corn flakes, cashew nuts, peanuts, walnut and rolled oats. Pour the wet ingredient over and mix it well.

Then line your baking tray with baking paper, and pour the mixture over it. Flatten and compact it nicely. Bake in a preheated oven at 160C for 30-40 minutes. Once done bring it out and let it cool down and harden up. Or if you can't control yourself with the lovely aroma, just pig-in right from the tray itself.

Here is a short video of the said aunty in case you are interested. And let me warn, you might get addicted and end up watching the rest of the episodes on Youtube!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails